Dad and I started dismantling our bathroom this afternoon… well, I guess yesterday afternoon now. We got the bathtub surround walls down… they were much heavier than I thought they’d be.
We found that there was more work than originally intended, but also found some positive things in the process. There was absolutely no indication of mold of any kind. There were a few problems with the original installation, such as a piece of wood resting on the tub behind the surrounding wall, which led to that piece of wood soaking up water.
We’ll get to work tomorrow by removing the tub, which we finally got to budge a little earlier. There’s no telling how long it’s been since it’s original installation. Hopefully, we can have the plumbing and base walls back up by tomorrow evening. I don’t want to plan too far ahead, so I’m not going to.
Here’s the basic list of things I know need to be done after that:
- Sand the necessary parts of walls
- Texture the necessary parts of walls
- Paint the walls
- Paint the cabinets
- Paint the trim and baseboards
- Install the surrounding walls around the bathtub (includes cutting holes for the shower)
- Lay down new floor tiles
- Caulk the tub and surrounding walls
- Install the baseboards
- Install the new curtain rod
- Install new cabinet knobs
- Install new ceiling light fixture
- Testing (take a shower)
I’m sure there’s some tasks I left out, either due to lack of effort or memory. Hopefully Christle will be happy with our work. I can’t begin to imagine how long this would take without Dad’s help. Thanks, Dad.